How Can You Prepare for A PEG Tube Placement?
Before the operation, you will meet your doctor to discuss the expectations. If you have any medication allergies or bleeding risks, you must share the information at this point. Before the surgery, you should not ingest anything.
Also, plan to have a person that you trust to take you home after the operation. You may have some medication and diet restrictions the week before surgery.
What Happens During the Procedure?
On the day of the operation, you will get intravenous antibiotics and anesthesia. A local anesthetic might also be administered on the area of the incision. During the procedure, a provider will:
- Get an endoscope into your stomach by passing it through the mouth.
- Suction fluids from your stomach using an endoscope.
- Sterilize the area of the incision, then use local anesthesia.
- Make a tiny incision in the upper abdominal area.
- Push a tube into the cut.
- Connect the tube to your stomach and suture it in place.
The surgery takes roughly 20-30 minutes, and you can return home once it is finished. You might also stay at the hospital overnight for observation.